- EF Mount Lens
- Aperture Range: f/2.8-22
- Aspherical Lens Element
- STM Stepping Motor for Smooth, Silent AF
- Lightweight & Compact: 4.6 oz, 1" Long
- Lens Coatings Reduce Ghost & Flare
- 7-Blade Circular Diaphragm
- Minimum Focus Distance: 11.81"
- 64mm Equivalent on APS-C Cameras
- STM Focus in Video on Select EOS Rebels
This EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens from Canon is a welcome addition to Canon's line-up of EF lenses--a light, inconspicuous "normal" lens. At a featherweight 4.6 oz, this is one of the lightest lenses in the EF family. It's less than one inch long, so it will never draw unwelcome attention to you when you're shooting in public. A bright f/2.8 maximum aperture allows you to shoot under pretty much any lighting conditions, and the sophisticated lens configuration, including one aspherical element, guarantees high image quality from the center to the edge of the frame. The optimized coatings used in constructing the lens greatly reduce ghosting and flare, and deliver superb color balance.
STM functionality provides quiet, smooth and continuous autofocus during video operation (continuous video autofocus only when used with the Canon EOS 70D, Rebel T4i and T5i). The circular aperture formed by 7 diaphragm blades combined with the wide aperture can give you beautiful bokeh--the out-of-focus background areas of your images. This 40mm lens will give you a view equivalent to 64mm when used on a camera with an APS-C sensor, and is able to focus as close as 11.81".
- Newly developed STM technology for smooth and quiet continuous AF while shooting video (continuous video autofocus only supported with EOS 70D, Rebel T4i and T5i cameras).
- Lightweight and unobtrusive 4.6 oz lens is less than one inch long.
- Bright f/2.8 aperture is effective in low light situations and provides shallow depth of field focus control.
- High image quality from the center to the periphery thanks to its advanced lens configuration including one aspherical element.
- Optimized coatings that minimize ghosting and flare while providing exceptional color balance
- A circular 7-blade aperture for beautiful soft-focus backgrounds
- Short minimum focusing distance of only 11.81"
- Mounted on a camera with an APS-C sensor, this lens offers a view similar to a 64mm lens in the 35mm format. A unique and indispensable addition to Canon's series of EF lenses, the new EF 40mm f/2.8 STM offers an ultra-slim and lightweight design. Incredibly compact in size, the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM delivers high image quality from the center to the periphery thanks to its advanced lens configuration including an aspherical element, a bright 2.8 aperture, and optimized coatings that minimize ghosting and flare while providing exceptional color balance. The EF 40mm f/2.8 STM's unobtrusive design helps the photographer avoid overwhelming their subjects with a large lens and to remain discreet in sensitive shooting situations with no compromise in performance. Its diminutive design is complemented by features such as a newly developed stepping motor for smooth and quiet continuous AF while capturing video with the Canon EOS Rebel T4i DSLR, a circular aperture (7 blades) for beautiful soft-focus backgrounds, and a short minimum focusing distance of only 0.98 ft./0.30 m.
Focal Length & Maximum Aperture40mm, 1:2.8
Lens Construction6 elements in 4 groups
Diagonal Angle of View57°30'
Focus AdjustmentSTM with Full Lens Extension System
Closest Focusing Distance0.98 ft./0.3m
Max. Diameter x Length, Weight2.7 x 0.9 inch, 4.6 oz. / 68.2 x 22.8mm, 130g
- Additional Information
Brand Canon VPN 6310B002 Lens Mount Canon EF Image Stabilization No Autofocus Yes Filter Thread 52mm Warranty 1-Year Limited Warranty